Great advice from Casting Directors
I'd like to share this NY Times article with Bernie Telsey, Daniel Swee, Tara Rubin. Jim Carnahan and Nancy Piccione, 3 of the most influential casting directors in NY.
Great food for thought!
Q. What’s the secret to a great audition?
TELSEY: When somebody comes in and surprises you and takes you to an emotional place that the material is demanding but you wouldn’t have thought of. What that involves: completely prepared, making performance choices. It makes you want to be in a room with them longer.
SWEE: The key to preparing is spending time with a text, figuring out who this character is to you. For Seth Numrich in “War Horse” he gave a lesson in brilliant auditioning. He was completely prepared with the text. He had developed a great British accent already. He was completely present, which meant that he was able to listen carefully to the other actors, to take direction. You can see so easily when an actor is not listening.
CARNAHAN: One of the biggest traps that actors fall into is trying to be what we want them to be, and that’s not what we’re looking for. It’s like a blind date. You’re better off just being yourself. And on the other side, with directors, it’s getting some of them to spend more time getting to know actors. With British directors I’m always negotiating for three actors an hour. They just don’t know any actors here. Giving an hour to three actors — the Brits consider that a lot of time.
To read the whole article go to:
Broadway Casting Directors Discuss Their Workwww10.nytimes.comFive Broadway casting directors discuss the challenges of matching actors and shows.
Leave a comment
Film / Theater / TV
- SULLIVAN AND SON, my new series soon to be on TBS, (VERY FUNNY)!
- Run, don't walk to PORGY AND BESS on Broadway starring Audra McDonald, Norm Lewis and David Alan Grier.
- In the Trenches - SULLIVAN AND SON pilot
- OFF THE SIDELINES event for Senator Gillibrand of NY
- George Harrison- Living in the Material World and the 2011 Television Season!
- Hudson Opera House, oldest theater in NY State!
- ON THE ROAD to the Ojai Playwrights Festival!
- Calling All Dancers and Filmmakers
- Great advice from Casting Directors
- IN the Trenches - KRUNK FU BATTLE BATTLE - last two days!
- In the Trenches - ROGUE MACHINE Theater Company
- In the Trenches - Law and Order Los Angeles wrap party
- In the Trenches - ART AT THE ARMORY- RYOJI IKEDA the transfinite and the Royal Shakespeare Co!
- IN THE TRENCHES - 2011 Los Angeles Asian Pacific Film Festival opening night tomorrow!
- In THE TRENCHES - $56,000 was raised for Rebuild Japan Benefit Concert!
- IN THE TRENCHES - Rebuild Japan Benefit Concert @ Pasadena Playhouse Mon, Apr 4
- IN THE TRENCHES - pics of GREAT WALL concert @Joe's Pub and more
- IN THE TRENCHES - GREAT WALL concert @Joe's Pub/Public Theater
- IN THE TRENCHES - A tsunami of an earthquake shifting us into the Aquarian Age
- IN THE TRENCHES-It's PILOT SEASON! Interview with director and casting director Risa Bramon Garcia