No Pain, No Gain: What to Expect With Pain After a Root Canal
Have you ever had a throbbing tooth pain? The pain is so intense that there is no pain scale. Think about it; the pain drives you to see a professional to drill into the said tooth.
The alternatives to treat tooth problem include tooth extraction, medication, implant, or filling.
Root canal rehabilitates the health of your tooth. It'll improve your chewing, normal biting force, teeth sensation, and protect other teeth. You must be wondering, what about the pain after a root canal?
This article guides you through the gains after the pain of the root canal process.Root Canal Procedure
Over fifteen million people undergo the root canal procedure each year.
You should understand the root canal procedure before analyzing the pain. So what does the root canal process involve?
A root canal is a treatment procedure used to repair a decayed or infected tooth. The process involves the removal of the infected nerve and pulp.
The root canal process varies with the dental problem.
You must be wondering what exactly happens during the root canal procedure?1. X-ray
The dentist does not just recommend a root canal. After a diagnosis, a dentist will decide if you need the root canal procedure or not.
So how is your tooth problem examined?
The dentist will recommend an X-ray to determine the precise location of decay or infection.2. Anesthesia
Dentists use Anesthesia and numbing medication. Using a needle, they inject anesthesia around the infected tooth. Sounds scary and painful, right? You don’t need to be scared.
It numbs the gum surrounding the affected tooth and reduces pain during the procedure.3. Pulpectomy
The dentist makes an opening on the gum to remove the infected tooth pulp. Removing the affected tooth pulp helps stop the spread of infection.4. Filling
Finally, gutta-percha material replaces your sick pulp and it's later sealed using cement.
The root canal process takes around 2 to 3 appointments.
The dentist monitors the procedure to treat the infected tooth carefully. If there’s another option, your dentist will discuss it with you. Several options exist and it’s imperative to go through them carefully.What to Expect with Pain After a Root Canal
What runs in your mind at the mention of the word root canal? Pain, discomfort, and inflammation? During and after the root canal, most people report feeling discomfort and pain.
You must be wondering, is it so painful, or why do people complain of the same?
So why all the pain or discomfort?
Swollen tissue around the gum causes pain. Remember, although the process involves the removal of the nerve root from the tooth, there are small nerves in the tissues surrounding the tooth.
Inflammation of the area results in discomfort.
The pain should be mild and last a few days. The pain should not scare you. Research suggests that 15% of US citizens avoid dentists due to fear.
The objective of the root canal process is to eliminate the problem and not add pain.When Should You Seek Help?
Pain during and after root canal procedure is normal. The pain should only last a few days.
So when should you seek help?
If the pain or swelling after root canal persists, you should see your dentist.
It is common that people remain in pain due to set expectations. You probably think you should be patient as pain is part of the process. Please don’t wait as the excess pain may be an infection or things gone sour.
Can a root canal procedure go wrong? Yes, of course. However, it is fortunate that most of the root canal patients consider the process to be a success.
So what causes the excess pain?
- Infection around the gum: Persistent swollen or inflamed gum characterizes this infection. The inflammation causes discomfort on the nerve endings.
- Damage by the medical instrument: Although it’s not your dentist intention to cause harm, it can happen. When the device is not used properly, it might cause damage to the sensitive infected area.
- Temporary filling. If the dentist does not smoother the temporary filling, it can cause more pain. Are you already wondering how? The area higher than the surrounding tooth can make biting harder.
Putting pressure on the area causes a tooth sore.
With this in mind, you now understand why you should not ignore the excess pain after a root canal. Do you experience different pains from we've mentioned? To discover more about tooth related-pains, read more here.How to Manage Pain During and After Root Canal
During and after the root canal procedure, you’ll require pain management. Remember, pain is the reason you’re at the dentist.
So how does the dentist help relieve or manage the pain?
During the procedure, dentists use anesthesia and numbing agents. Afterward, you're given pain killers to manage the pain.
It is mandatory you take care of your tooth and root canal system. You should know you can be the cause for more pain after a root canal. How do you avoid self-inflicted pain?
Avoid crunchy and hard to chew food. In addition, use clove oil to reduce the pain.Gains After Root Canal
You must be wondering whether the process is worth it. Yeah, sure we can assure the process is worth it. So what are the benefits of a root canal?
- Visually Appealing. Crowns are visually appealing as they maintain the natural look of the tooth. Unlike extraction, you don’t have to be scared about to smile or laugh aloud. You’ll save your natural tooth.
- Cost-Effective: The root canal process is less costly compared to tooth extraction. Most health insurance policies cover the cost.
Do you need to save your natural truth through root canal? You should know pain after a root canal is exaggerated. The procedure causes mild pain and discomfort.
However, you need to know when the pain is beyond ordinary.
The root canal helps regain the health of your tooth. It overwhelms mild pain that occurs after the procedure.
Do you have any tooth related issue that you would like to learn about? Visit our informative blog for more health tips.
Leave a comment
- How Businesses Can Reap The Benefits Of A Fuel Management System
- How Businesses Can Reap The Benefits Of A Fuel Management System
- Plan What to Do with Your Property’s Sale Value Before Selling It
- Keeping Violence out of the Workplace
- EXCHANGE PRICELESS PROMOTIONAL GIFTS TO MAKE DEAR ONE HAPPY
- A Spotlight on Exorbitant Credit Repair Companies
- Custom Fitted Car Covers - For the Best Exterior Protection
- Gifts Speak The Language Of Care And Love
- Unusual Microbial Activites
- Five Tips on How to Maintain Your Commercial Refrigerator
- Features of Good Application Services
- No Pain, No Gain: What to Expect With Pain After a Root Canal
- Power of Music: 10 Surprising Health Benefits of Music
- Old Home Repair: Basics of Foundation Replacement Cost
- The Essential Beginner's Guide to Meditation for Anxiety Relief
- 9 Creative Wedding Gift Ideas Perfect For All Seasons
- Instagram like Hacks and General Hacks to Make You That Much Closer to an Influencer
- 3 INDICATORS YOU’RE FOCUSING ON THE “RIGHT STUFF”
- 5 Signs It's Time to Replace Your Dryer
- The Top 4 Best Easy-To-Make Colombian Dishes