Young children in Ghana are prospering thanks to teacher training
Early learning teachers in Ghana are transforming the way thousands of very young children are being taught.More than 27,000 children have been given the chance of quality early childhood education thanks to a groundbreaking teacher-training programme. Teacher training for early years or nursery education
It's been so successful that it has won the 2018 UNESCO-Hamdan bin Rashid Al-Maktoum Prize, which supports the improvement of teaching and learning quality and comes with a $100,000 prize.
“The methodology has had a positive impact on both the teachers and the pupils," said Sister Agnes Gyimah, Head Teacher of OLA Kindergarten Centre of Excellence. "Teachers perform excellently in the classroom. The children are happy and interact with each other.”
The programme is called Fast-track Transformational Teacher Training Programme and is run by the charity Sabre Education. It is drawn directly from Ghana’s government strategy and is a critical part of the country’s efforts to provide quality early childhood education for every girl and boy.
Sabre Education works in two regions of southern Ghana to build a brighter future for marginalised and disadvantaged children aged four and five.Dominic Bond, the charity's CEO, said: “Our programme is an innovative approach to enhancing the quality of early years education in Ghana.”The West African country has been trying to scale up quality kindergarten for the past five years - and in doing so, realised that a major weakness was the absence of a qualified workforce to teach at that level.
So Ghana Education Service partnered with OLA and Holy Child Colleges of Education and Sabre Education to implement the teacher-training programme in the Central and Western regions.Now their teachers receive the correct training to implement the government’s new child-centred, active and play-based kindergarten methodology.
Dora Opare-Anakwa is a Sabre Education-trained teacher at Dompoase Kindergarten School. She said: “The first difference is the confidence of the children. Before they wouldn’t dare ask questions but now the children feel free to talk to you.
“The other thing is curiosity. Their curiosity is high. If you change something in the classroom, they will notice. They ask me what is this? What is this for?
“We urge them to be more interactive with their environment. When they are at their play centres (shopping, construction, home etc) you can interact with them in that environment. We try to be a guide for them in the classroom.
“Some of the children are now in Primary Class 4. The extent of their reading is higher than those who were taught in traditional methods. Because they were taken through the phonics programme, they were able to combine sounds in words.”
Teachers are supporting children to develop the "five Cs" - confidence, communication, cooperation, curiosity, concentration - as the foundation of early grade literacy, numeracy and creativity. And it's all done in a child-friendly and non-threatening learning environment.
Student teachers are also exposed to the best practices, giving them the confidence and capacity to enact the teaching methodology as newly qualified teachers.
Leave a comment
- 3-O-Ethyl-L-ascorbic Acid Vs Vitamin C(l-ascorbic)
- 3-O-Ethyl-L-ascorbic Acid Manufacture Method
- How to Synthesis Sesamol
- How Does Lycopene Work
- How does Centrophenoxine work?
- How does phosphatidylserine work?
- How does Magnesium L-threonate work?
- How does Magnesium L-threonate work?
- Iran’s Bid to Integrate With Global Economy Coming to an End
- China economy: Third quarter growth misses expectations
- China’s big 3 blockchain trade finance projects hit $63 billion in volume
- China's Xi turns to financial experts to tame economic risks
- Ping-pong diplomacy: volunteer finds inspiration in St. Lucia
- Superior Sword Of Goujian: Jian Weapon Miraculously Well-Preserved And Legend Of Immortal With Good Advices
- How The Trade War Crushed A Growing Chinese Market For U.S. Cranberries
- Your VPN service may be leaking private data to third parties
- Do I need a VPN? Are VPNs Safe for Online Banking?
- The best VPN services for 2020
- Is it illegal to use a VPN for Netflix?
- Mozilla is testing paid ad-free internet and VPN services